How to Fix Your Keyboard After a Wine Spill
I was able to salvage my PROSTAR notebook after knocking a full glass of red wine square onto the keyboard ... Here's how.
First ... don't panic (yet).
- PROSTAR SAGER CLEVO D470W
- This procedure will probably work on most notebook keyboards
PROCEDURE Unplug the battery. For this unit you need to remove the screws that cover the battery compartment. Next set the computer on edge over a sink and let the wine drain out as much as possible. Pour liberal amounts of IPA (rubbing alcohol) onto the area of the spill and drain again as above to help wash the wine out of the electronics.
Now here's the trick to save the keyboard...
- Remove the keyboard from the computer.
- This unit easily unclips (no screws). The clips are located along the top edge of the keyboard and can be depressed with a small blade screwdriver to release. (See areas encircled in red).
- Place the keyboard in a Pyrex cooking dish that's large enough to lay it flat.
- Fill the dish with IPA above the level of the keys.
- Let soak for a few hours. Once in a while swish the keyboard back and forth to create some washing action.
- Remove from dish and stand on the narrow edge leaning against your counters' splashboard.
- Let dry overnight (this is important!)
- Re-assemble ... that's it, your back in business!